Saturday, February 24, 2007

We need a central museum

as published in The Guardian, Feb 24, 2007
ELLA WOOD WILLIS
Charlottetown, life member, Heritage Foundation

Editor:

Concerning the need for a provincial museum located in Charlottetown, I would like to add my voice to the many who have spoken in favour of such a museum.

During the past week, I listened via CBC to Dr. Edward MacDonald and Mr. Ian Scott discuss the need for a provincial museum and I was impressed with their knowledge of the whole subject. Following their presentations, I heard Premier Binns discussing his plans to move hundreds of artifacts currently stored in West Royalty to Murray River at a cost of approximately $4 million. I question the wisdom of this plan and instead would urge for the creation of a central museum.

During my working years, there was a great effort made to collect antiques for the ‘dreamed of’ museum. Two women in particular, whose efforts need to be remembered and recognized, are the late Irene MacLeod Rogers and the late Ruth Heartz MacKenzie, who worked tirelessly to find and preserve antiques for Government House, Beaconsfield and the archives. Since Premier Binns did not come to P.E.I. until the early 1970s, he may not be aware of this heritage and the value of these irreplaceable antiques. It is my plea that the efforts of so many people not be used for political gain.

No comments: